Reading Intervention is a supplemental guided reading support for children in grades 1 and 2 who are not achieving targeted outcomes in the classroom setting.
Reading Intervention Program in Ann Arbor Public Schools:
- Half-time Reading Intervention teacher in each elementary building.
- RI lesson consistent in each building across the district
- 30 minutes daily
- Groups of one to four students
- 5 days per week
- Focus on explicit, systematic phonics instruction (10 minutes)
- Reading and writing about texts (20 minutes)
- Monthly professional development sessions required
- Coaching occurs 3-4 times per year
- Attendance monitored for both student and teacher to determine efficacy of program.
- RI teachers monitor student progress weekly through running records.
- Benchmark assessments collected 6 times per year.
- Attendance and achievement data reported to district 6 times per year.
Sample RI Lesson 48kb PDF