Procedures for Applying for Non-Resident Child of Employee Admission

January 2014

The Ann Arbor Board of Education has approved a policy to allow enrollment of Non-Resident Children of Employees to the Ann Arbor Public Schools. This allows for a permanent reassignment of students from one district to another. Under the Enrollment of Non-Resident Children of Employees policy, qualified employees* may apply for space to one of the identified space-available schools. The district retains the right to identify schools for non-resident enrollment, including schools that students may attend during change of level (elementary-middle-high). Transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the participating parent/guardian. The ability of the family to transport students to arrive on time for daily instruction is an important consideration when applying for non-resident enrollment.

Applications will be accepted throughout the year. At the end of April, all who have applied by this date will be notified. Those who apply starting in May will be notified as we receive the applications.

Schools with space available for Non-resident students of employees:

Abbot – Gr. K, 2, 4, 5 Dicken – Gr. K, 1, 4, 5 Northside – Gr. K-5 Clague – Gr. 6-8 Huron
Gr. 9 (50 spaces)
Gr. 10 (25 spaces)
Allen – Gr. K-5 Eberwhite – Gr. K, 3, 4 Pattengill – Gr. 3-5 Forsythe – Gr. 6-8
Angell - Gr. K-5 Haisley – Gr. K-5 Pittsfield – Gr. K-5 Scarlett – Gr. 6-8
Bach - Gr. K, 1, 4, 5 Lakewood – Gr. K-5 Thurston – Gr. K, 1, 4 Slauson – Gr. 6-8 Pioneer
Gr. 9 (50 spaces)
Gr. 10 (25 spaces)
Bryant – Gr. K-2 Lawton - Gr. K, 1, 4 Wines – Gr. K-5 Tappan - Gr. 6-8
Burns Park – Gr. K-5 Logan – Gr. K, 2, 3, 5    
Carpenter – Gr. K-5 Mitchell – Gr. K-5      


Space is very limited in the grades listed above. If the number of applications exceeds the number of spaces available in a given school or grade, a lottery will be conducted by the Student Enrollment Office. Applicants may include up to 3 choices on the application.  Applicants will be contacted if their first choice is not available.

Each employee wishing to apply for a non-resident enrollment must fill out an application. Procedures for applying are as follows:

  1. Applications are to be submitted in person, by mail or fax to the:
    Office of Student Enrollment
    2555 S State St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    Phone 994-2223
    FAX 734-994-2619
    Office hours are 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m. Monday through Friday.
  2. Schools with space available under the policy are determined annually based upon capacity and projected enrollment. Actual numbers will be determined with further monitoring of enrollment projections.  You may include up to three choices on the application.
  3. The district will notify students/families of the status of their transfer request.
I understand that the district retains the right to identify schools for non-resident enrollment, including schools that my child may attend during change of level (elementary-middle-high).

  If my transfer request is granted, I understand that school bus transportation is not available and agree to provide transportation for my child to and from school on a daily basis.  I understand that my child must arrive and depart school during the normal hours of operation.

Please refer to Administrative Regulation 4700.R.01 or call the Department of Student Enrollment at (734) 994-2249 for more information.

*Qualified Employee: Any individual who is currently under contractual employment with AAPS, either full- or part-time and receives a payroll check from the AAPS. Individuals who are employed by another agency, school district, intermediate school district, governmental agency or business, but who are assigned to perform their work within or on behalf of the Ann Arbor Public Schools are not “qualified employees” of the Ann Arbor Public Schools and thus, their children do not qualify for admission to the District under this law.