34 local area businesses, community organizations, and churches are paired with Ann Arbor public schools to provide advanced opportunities and to provide supplemental instruction.
These partnerships pay dividends for all involved. The participation of the business community in public schools sends a clear message to students that education is important.
The Partners for Excellence Program is bringing the community to the classroom to benefit all those involved in the following ways:
- Assisting with meeting the needs beyond the resources of the school.
- Improved community support for education
- Access to more adult role models with expertise in specialized areas that are not traitionally available in the classroom
- Provide students the opportunity to see how basic skills are used in the workplace
- An awareness of business resources, complexities, constraints, and concerns
- Increase student awareness of career opportunities
- Increased understanding of the school system, whose health is vital to the community.
- Opportunity to raise the morale of school personnel by demonstrating that respected "outsiders" are willing to help educate students
- Opportunity to help develop career awareness that is geared towards specific, local job market needs now and in the future
- An increased understanding of the free enterprise system among students and staff
- Increased employee morale as a result of providing opportunities for volunteer involvement
- Improved community image
FOR THE COMMUNITY
- A strong school system that attracts new business and industry
- Community involvement as a healthy positive support for education
- A school system that produces students who are knowledgeable about employable job skills that will enhance local businessess