Welcome to the Instrumental Music Page!
Instrumental Music begins in the fall for 5th graders!! At Angell every fifth grader learns to play a band or orchestral instrument. The first week of school Ms. Ford and Mr. Demarsh demonstrate all of the instruments students can choose. Each student also has several interviews with Mr. Demarsh and Ms. Ford, trying out some of the instruments and thinking about which ones would work the best for each fifth grader.
Students select their first and second choice instruments. Usually every Angell student is able to play either their first choice or their second choice!
We begin playing instruments by the first week in October. Some of the sounds we make at the beginning are a little bit strange, but in a few weeks we'll sound much better. String students start by learning to play pizzicato (plucking the strings). They will get their bows later. Wind students begin by blowing on mouthpieces and percussionists start learning to play the orchestra bells. After a few lessons, we begin playing simple melodies. All instruments will be kept at school while students learn to play their first notes and care for their instruments properly. Generally all instruments are sent home for the first time around the end of October.
ALL STUDENTS MUST TURN IN A SIGNED GUARANTEE CARD BEFORE THEIR INSTRUMENT MAY GO HOME
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. When will we get our instruments? Around the first week in October.
2. Will everyone get their first choice? No, but we will do our best to agree on an instrument that each student can be excited about.
3. When will we get to take our instruments home? Probably by Halloween. We want to make sure you know some basics first.
4. What is a Guarantee Card and how do we get one? A Guarantee Card is a legal contract which parents and students must sign before instruments may be taken home. By signing it, you promise to care for your instrument, return it at the end of the year, and pay for any damage or loss. Students get a Guaranty Card from their music teacher when we assign instruments. It should be returned to your classroom teacher as soon as possible.
5. How are instruments assigned to each student? Every school instrument has a special number. Once we know what kind of instrument each student will be playing, we will put the numbers of the instruments on cards. The cards for a certain instrument are shuffled and then each student picks a card from the proper pile. The number on the card identifies the specific instrument the student is assigned.