* Angell is ranked #20 out of 2,362 public and charter elementary and middle schools in 2013 in the State of Michigan.
• Angell received an “A” on the Michigan School Report Card from the Michigan Department of Education.
• Angell was constructed in 1923. It was named after James Burrill Angell. He is best known for being the longest-serving president of the University of Michigan (1871–1909).
•Approximately 315 students are enrolled in grades K-5.
• Angell students in grades 3-5 take the MEAP (Michigan Educational Assessment Program) each year. In 2008-09, averaging 3-5 grade MEAP scores, 95% met or exceeded the standard in English Language, 97% in Reading, 85% in Writing, 98% in Mathematics, and 94% in Science. These scores exceed the AAPS district averages and substantially exceed the State averages.
• Members of the Rotary Club volunteer on a weekly basis to tutor students in reading or assist with math computation.
Welcome to the Angell Elementary School Homepage
Spring Musical/Concert Performances Are Coming! All Performances are held in the Angell Auditorium unless noted otherwise.
Squirm ~ Hepner and DePasquale ~ Thursday, April 16th, 7 PM
1776 ~ Yaeger and Lee ~ Wednesday, April 29th, 7 PM
Sing a Song of Aesop ~ Griffith/Brennan/Halabu ~ Wednesday, May 6th, 7 PM
The Cuckoo ~ Rudberg and Sawin ~ Thursday, May 14th, 7 PM
Fifth Grade Instrumental Music Concert ~ Tuesday, May 26th, 7 PM
(Concert held at New Life Auditorium)
Adventures of Tom Sawyer ~ Kelly ~ Tuesday, June 2nd, 7 PM
Kindergarten Concert ~ Lewandowski, Bullock and McCormick ~ Thursday, June 4th, 7 PM
Assistant Professor Glenn Wilcox and Assistant Professor Anca Trandafirescu, principals of the firm area.architecture won a 2013 AIA Huron Valley Honor Award for their project ‘Flying Carpet,’ in the Small Project/Low Budget category.
The Flying Carpet is a piece of microarchitecture that converts a long, narrow volume of space in an elementary school into a reading, writing, lounging, and play space for the children occupants of the building.
Folk stories in many cultures tell of a mythical flying carpet that transport their riders to distant places faster than the wind. Recalling these stories from our own childhood, the flying carpet became the apt poetic metaphor for the space’s primary activities: reading, writing, and imagining… the fastest ways we know to travel elsewhere.
The form of the work was generated using a computer script written by the designers, which facilitated the production of many variations early in the design process in addition to generating the final tooling paths for CNC machining.
More information and images of the work in process and completed can be found at their website:
• The PTO and staff support a rich enrichment program directed by a part time staff member that provides outstanding opportunities to extend student learning.
• Girls on the Run, is an after school non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls (grades 3-5) to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.
Angell is a Top Ranked School!
The State of Michigan publishes a ranking of all the public schools in the state. It is called the Top to Bottom list. Angell is one of 19 elementary schools that scored in the 99% in the entire State of Michigan. We have ranked in the top 20 of all elementary schools for the last three years. Angell has received the Beating the Odds award from the Michigan Department of Education in 2009-10 and 2010-11 school years for exceptional student achievement. Check it out!
Wednesday, April 15th ~ Sawin to Toledo Art Museum
Thursday, April 16, 7 PM ~ Squirm ~ Hepner and DePasquale
Wednesday, April 29, 7 PM ~ 1776 ~ Lee and Yaeger
Wednesday, May 6, 7 PM ~ Sing A Song of Aesop~ Griffith, Brennan and Halabu
Thursday, May 14, 7 PM ~ The Cuckoo ~ Rudberg and Sawin
Tuesday, May 26, 7 PM ~ Fifth Grade Instrumental Music Concert ~ Yaeger and Lee (New Life Auditorium)
Tuesday, June 2, 7 PM ~ The Adventures of Tom Sawyer ~ Kelly
Thursday, June 4, 7 PM ~ Kindergarten Concert ~ Bullock, McCormick and Lewandowski (New Life Auditorium)
Friday, May 29th, 6:00 - 7:30 PM ~ Ice Cream Social
Angell Elementary is a great place to go to school! See for yourself and enjoy these photo albums below!
Angell Elementary School is committed to creating a learning environment in which parents, teachers and students: • expect academic excellence • value diversity • challenge all students to reach their individual and collective potential • promote personal responsibility, respectful behavior, and problem-solving skills • nurture the unique qualities in each child • effectively communicate with each other, and • provide for extended learning opportunities for adults as well as children
We will collaborate and cooperate as a caring and supportive community, which reflects the international and diverse nature of our population.