Music Together® Classes
Held at the Family Center - 2775 Boardwalk Dr., room D108
Click Here for a neat video from Music Together: Video
Lottery for Fall 2014 will be held on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 after 4 p.m. New evening option offered for Fall. The lottery form is now available for download.
Lottery Form Lottery Instructions
Please note: Only families already participating in other classes with First Steps may turn in a lottery form. New families need to attend an orientation and join one of our other classes first. If you want to participate in Music Together now, please check out Hand in Hand Music or Robinsongs for Kids. They provide only Music Together classes. We are a comprehensive program that is offering 6 classes each session.
Current Families: Please see below for details of the fees. Are you planning to participate and use the sliding fee scale? That's great and you must apply for a scholarship through Rec&Ed first. It takes 10 days to process so apply now. I cannot accept your lottery form without the full class fee unless you have successfully applied for a scholarship.
Fall 2014 Class Schedule
Tuesdays 9:45-10:30 a.m
Tuesdays 10:45-11:30 a.m.
Tuesdays 12:30-1:15 p.m. - for children under 18 months only!
Wednesdays 9:45-10:30 a.m.
Wednesdays 10:45-11:30 a.m.
Thursdays 6:00-6:45 p.m. NEW EVENING
Fall classes for Music Together begin September 8, 2014 and end December 10, 2014. Music Together classes run during the same weeks as our other classes for a total of 13 weeks. The fee is $207 to participate with one child. If you have more than I child, your fee is $303. If your second child was born after 3/8/14, there is no second child fee yet.
This fee includes the music cd, access to download the songs from Music Together and a music book.
What is Music Together®?
Music Together is an internationally recognized early childhood music program for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and the adults who love them. First offered to the public in 1987, it pioneers the concept of a research-based developmentally appropriate early childhood music curriculum that strongly emphasizes and facilitates adult involvement.
Music Together classes are based on the recognition that all children are musical. All children can learn to sing in tune, keep a beat, and participate with confidence in the music of our culture, provided that their early environment supports such learning. By emphasizing actual music experiences rather than concepts about music, Music Together introduces children to the pleasures of making music instead of passively receiving it from CD's or TV.
Central to the Music Together approach is that young children learn best from the powerful role model of parents/caregivers who are actively making music. The program brings families together by providing a rich musical environment in spontaneous musical activity at home within the context of daily life.
Our teachers, Yvette Daniels and Melissa Hudson, have successfully completed the Music Together Teaching Workshop developed by the Center for Music and Young Children, Princeton, New Jersey. Yvette and Melissa are both registered Music Together teachers. Yvette Daniels has also completed further training and is now a certified Music Together teacher. Melissa Hudson is our newest Music Together teacher and we are happy to welcome her although she is a long-time First Steps teacher.
A Music Together class is:
- music learned through developmentally appropriate activities that support and respect the unique learning styles of very young children.
- infants, toddlers, and preschoolers participating at their own levels in family-style classes of mixed ages.
- a community of families sharing songs, playing instruments rhythm chants, and movement activities in a relaxed, playful, non-performance-oriented setting.
- a new song collection every session for three years, featuring great arrangements of original and traditional songs in a wide variety of tonalities, meters and cultural styles.
Your Role in the Class
- Arrive on time. It's important to be there for the "Hello" song!
- Model for your child by singing every song in class.
- Please stay involved during the whole class- socialize with your friends before and after class. We're glad you're with friends!
- Practice at home! This class takes a lot of preparation by you every week. The more songs you know, the easier it is to do musical things in class - like harmony!
- Encourage your child(ren) to explore music and allow them to learn in their way and time. By being in the room, they are exposed to everything even if they're only watching in the beginning.
Each Session Includes:
- 10-13 weekly 45-minute classes teaching a specific song collection - Bongos, Bells, Triangle, Fiddle, Drum, Tambourine, Flutes, Sticks, Maracas. There are 3 years of different collections. Summer is 7 weeks and the collection is called "Summer."
- Music Together At Home--a DVD for all new Music Together families.
- A professional recording each session with new songs, rhythm chants, "play-alongs," and tonal and rhythm patterns. Two copies - one for home and one for the car.
- Beautifully illustrated songbook with family activities to enjoy at home.
- Semi-annual family newsletter.
How do I register for a class?
You need a special form specifically for the Music Together classes. Please give them directly to Sherri or Marj, along with payment. A lottery is used to determine who is in these classes each session. Please read directions for this posted in your class or on this website under currect schedule. New families must attend an orientation prior to signing up for any class with First Steps.
When you sign up for a Music Together class, this class is considered your regular participation class. You may add a second (non-Music Together) class for an additional fee which will vary depending on the length of the session.
Music Together art & logo design copyright 1992-2014 Music Together LLC. Music Together is a registered trademark. First Steps-Ann Arbor is licensed by Music Together LLC.
For more Music Together locations: www.musictogether.com or (800)728-2692