| 825 Duncan St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Kathy Scarnecchia, Principal
|HAISLEY HOME ABOUT CALENDAR PTO CONTACT US|
History of Haisley School
Haisley School was built in 1954. It was named in honor of Otto W. Haisley, who served as the Ann Arbor Public School Superintendent from 1924 to 1953. Haisley School began as a neighborhood school where all students walked to school. Ms. Louise Ritsema was the first principal and stayed Haisley’s principal for 25 years. Over the past several years the neighborhood has expanded to include children in new subdivisions who come to school by bus. The school has been enriched by the increased diversity that has resulted from our enlarged population.
Haisley School is a nucleus of spirited and hard-working students, teachers and parents. The activities and programs of the school are directed toward achieving a maximum school experience for all children. We want children to feel capable, connected and valued; we want them to be aware of the talents within themselves; and we want them to reach their highest academic potential.
Since then, Haisley has participated in several bond construction updates. Our most recent construction update was in the 2005-06 school year when we added a new multipurpose room (lunch room and auditorium), technology updates in all classrooms, and necessary infrastructure updates throughout the building. Haisley’s office was also reconfigured to provide a welcoming entrance for parents and visitors, in addition to upgrading security.
One of the outstanding physical features of the school is the Medieval-style, three-dimensional ceramic mural over the fireplace in the lobby. This piece of art, entitled “Enchanted Garden,” was created in 1962 by the late Ann Arbor artist Janka McClatchey, who donated her time and talent. Carol Gagliardi, Dave Flesher, and Margy Howes, Haisley parents, took on the task of refurbishing the mural in the spring of 2003 and it was presented to the Haisley community at a Haisley Art Fair that spring.
Motawi Tile presented Haisley with this beautiful
Another new addition to Haisley was the transformation of the old Multi-purpose Room into a beautiful new Media Center this was accomplished with the help of the Haisley PTO and the district working together. Two of the highlights of the new Media Center are the large tree that surrounds the checkout area seen below, and the painted mural that graces the back wall.
Many thanks to Carol Gagliardi and her husband Dave Flesher for their time and talent in creating this wonderful mural located on the back wall of the Media Center.