Social & Emotional Development
|Preschool Progress Checklist
1. I participate in classroom routines and undertake new tasks with confidence.
- follows classroom routines
- participates in group activities
- continues trying when things are hard
- chooses own activities at playtime
2.I show independence in caring for myself and meeting my needs.
- dresses self
- eats with utensils
- takes care of toileting needs
3. I show an ability to work and play in my classroom.
- plays with friends at school
- takes turns and shares with others
- role plays cooperatively
4. I am aware of my emotions and express them constructively.
- expresses own feelings constructively
- displays self-confidence and manages own emotions
- identifies feelings of others
- responds appropriately to others
- with teacher's help, solves problems with words Physical Development
5. I can use my large muscles with ease and coordination.
- hops on one foot 5 times
- rides a tricycle
- throws and catches a ball
- walks on a balance beam
6. I can use my small muscles with ease and control.
Language & Literacy Development
- holds pencils and markers with a mature grip
- draws recognizable shapes and objects
- cuts out shapes, turning the paper
- does an 8-10 piece puzzle
7. I am developing an understanding of writing.
- differentiates between writing and drawing
- reads own writing
- writing includes recognizable letters
- writes first name
8. I am developing an understanding of reading.
- understands how books and print work
- demonstrates understanding of stories
- "reads" familiar story to an adult
- recognizes familiar print such as names or signs
- identifies 15 or more letters
9. I gain information from listening.
- tells others about things heard
- listens at group time
- follows a two-step direction
- stays on topic during short conversation
10. I can answer questions and describe personal experiences.
- answers "wh" questions (what, where, who)
- uses more specific and varied vocabulary
- talks about what's happening using descriptive words ("I see a big red truck.")
- talks about events, adding some details ("My mom went to the
- book store and bought me a book called The Cat in the Hat.")
11. I know about colors and shapes
- sorts a set of objects by one attribute
- identifies 6 colors
- identifies 4 shapes
12. I can create a two-piece pattern.
- creates own 2-piece pattern with 3 repetitions
13. I can compare objects.
- uses words to make comparisons (words ending in "er" or "est")
14. I understand counting.
- counts to 20
- counts a group of 8 objects
- recognizes some numerals