Welcome back to school!
I am very excited about working with your first grader this year. Our newsletters will be available online every Friday and I will also be emailing them to you each Friday. I hope this will help keep you informed about what is happening in our classroom. I will also be sending home any information from the office and your child's work from the week in a Friday Folder. This folder will need to come back each Monday. Please keep all the work sent home!
We are lucky to have a student teacher in our room this fall. Her name is Ms. Katie McHugh. She is from Eastern Michigan University and she is going to be great!
I am happy to report that this year our class will have it’s own web site! Our web site is http://thurston2.aaps.k12.mi.us/dey . Please check it every Friday for our weekly newsletter, volunteer opportunities, classroom donations list, and samples of student work throughout the year.
I have found the following information useful in getting the new year off to a good start:
1. Please let me know in WRITING where your child is to go at the end of each day, how they are to get there, and who will be picking them up. This information will help us get your child home safely. Please let me know if there is a change in plans any time during the school year.
2. The school provides a minimal amount of supplies for each child, so we need to share many of them. Students will not have individual desk cubbies this year so I ask that your child does not bring extra supplies to school. Students do not need pencil boxes or notebooks. Throughout the year as the classroom school supplies get depleated I will post what is needed on the Classroom Donations area of this website.
3. Please have your child bring in a small, nutritious snack (fruit, veggies) each day. Please send only one item. Students do not need drinks as part of their snacks as water will be available to drink. Snack time will be in the morning.
4. If your child is celebrating a birthday and you would like to bring in a special treat please let me know a few days ahead of time so I can plan accordingly. Some children may be allergic to nuts so I ask that the “sweet treat” be nut free. Please do NOT bring ice cream (unless they are individually wrapped popsicles), popcorn, or drinks (water will be provided). Thank you!
5. Please have your child bring their backpack EVERY day and check your child's backpack daily for messages. TOYS are not allowed in the classroom and will be put in the “JUNE BOX” to be returned at the end of the school year.
6. Please let me know right away if your child has any allergies I should be aware of.
7. Please check the web site each Friday http://thurston2.aaps.k12.mi.us/dey for our newsletter and classroom donations list. Check it periodically during the year for examples of student work and news.
8. Please fill out the form permitting me to display your pictures and/or work on the web site (remember that no last names will be used). I will be sending the form home in your child's Friday Folder next week.
9. Please let me know your email address so that I can send you the newsletter weekly.
E-mail is the fastest and most convenient way to contact me. Please feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com and I will return e-mail as soon as possible!
I look forward to a great year!!